Why The Piedmont?
Greensboro, High Point, and Winston-Salem are three neighboring cities in centeral North Carolina that embody innovation, entrepreneurship, and creativity while celebrating diverse culture and friendly competition.
The Piedmont Triad is strategically located in an economically vibrant region that is the apex of the urban crescent, arching midway between Raleigh/Research Triangle Park and Charlotte. These three cities are on the rise, bolstered by robust business clusters focusing on the future through technology, education, and research.
Setting up business in an area where cutting-edge innovation thrives provides a wealth of new opportunities for growth and success. University based research creates a basis for young and educated talent.
- A thriving life sciences and biotechnology sector is fueled by two expanding Research parks: the Gateway Research Park and Wake Forest Innovation Quarter. These research campuses are joined by a regional office for the North Carolina Biotechnology Center and the renowned Wake Forest University School of Medicine.
- The Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine (WFIRM) is an international trailblazer in the use of regenerative medicine to repair or replace diseased tissues and organs. WFIRM scientists were the first in the world to successfully implant a laboratory-grown organ into a human and are currently applying that experience and knowledge to grow more than 22 different organs and tissues.
- Aviation is taking off in the region and represents a strong and vibrant sector of our economy, focused around Piedmont Triad International Airport. Companies here include jet aircraft manufacturing, aviation maintenance, flight training, and overnight air delivery services.
- The magnitude of the region’s furniture industry is remarkable, with an annual impact of more than $8.25 billion and more than 70,000 local jobs. Many new arrivals to the region see the value that the skilled and knowledgeable artisans of the region offer to manufacturing.
- The Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering – a collaboration between UNC-Greensboro and NC A&T State University – is the principal research institution at Gateway University Research Park. In addition to collaborative research projects with businesses across the globe, the School offers master’s and doctoral degrees in nanoscience and nanoengineering. Its research activities are concentrated on emerging trends in nanobiology, nanomaterials, nanometrology, and nanobioelectronics.
Doing business in the Piedmont Triad offers companies a competitive advantage. With lower construction costs than most major markets, very affordable utilities, and a competitive cost of living, the region is a vibrant place for business, innovation, and entrepreneurship. A strong workforce, supported by world class higher education and training programs, plus opportunities for state and local incentives, make the area fertile ground for new business development and growth for expanding organizations.