Greensboro is a diverse, dynamic community, strategically located at the center of North Carolina’s urban crescent, midway between Raleigh and Charlotte. Situated at the intersection of four interstates and a number of major highways, Greensboro’s Mid-Atlantic location is paramount to the city’s role as an East Coast hub for transportation and logistics operations.
Industries that are thriving in Greensboro include advanced manufacturing, life sciences, aviation and financial and business services. The “Gate City” is also home to major operations of many worldwide-recognized brands, including Procter & Gamble, Lenovo, American Express, and FedEx.
Populated by a well-trained and highly skilled workforce, Greensboro is also home to a wealth of higher education opportunities at area colleges, universities, and technical schools.
- Ranked as the lowest cost location for Fortune 500 corporate headquarters among 30 major U.S. metro areas.
- The corporate income tax is 6% in 2004 and will drop to 5% in 2015.
- Conveniently located in the heart of the Piedmont Triad of North Carolina, just 20 minutes from both High Point and Winston-Salem. Charlotte and Raleigh are within an hour and a half drive.
- Within 650 miles of more than half of the U.S. population and most major domestic markets.
- Greensboro’s Mid-Atlantic location is paramount to being an East Coast manufacturing center and hub for logistics/transportation. Part of the “Carolina Corridor”, the region lies at the intersection of five Interstate highways (I-40, 73, 74, 77, 85) and a number of major federal highways (US 29, 52, 70, 220, 311, 421).
- Ranked as the lowest cost location for Fortune 500 corporate headquarters among 30 major U.S. metro areas, Greensboro offers businesses long-term success in a rewarding setting and at an affordable price.
- Companies here draw from a regional labor force of over 800,000. A young, well-educated workforce is supported by focused training at Guilford Technical Community College, as well as a wealth of higher education options at area colleges and universities, including University of North Carolina at Greensboro, North Carolina A&T University, Guilford College, Greensboro College, and Bennett College.
- Several Fortune 500 companies and well-known businesses have their roots in Greensboro, including Citigroup, Procter & Gamble, UPS, United Guaranty, Lincoln Financial, AT&T and UnitedHealth Group. VF Corporation, RF Microdevices (RFMD), HondaJet, and TIMCO Avaition Services are all headquartered here.
- Gateway University Research Park – a partnership between North Carolina A&T State University and The University of North Carolina at Greensboro featuring the Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering – is located on two 75-acre campuses.
- Aviation is taking off in the region and represents a strong and vibrant sector of our economy. Companies here include jet aircraft manufacturing, aviation maintenance, flight training, and overnight air delivery services. TIMCO Aviation Services is headquartered here.
- Located at the intersection of the two most traveled interstates in the nation – I-85 and I-40, with Interstates I-77 within 60 miles and I-95 only 90 miles away.
- Piedmont Triad International Airport services over half a million passengers every year. It is part of a 4,000-acre campus supporting 50 companies that infuse an estimated $1 billion into the local community annually. More than 4,000 people work on the campus.
- FedEx operates a Mid-Atlantic Air Hub at the Piedmont Triad International Airport and a FedEx Ground facility a few miles away, providing strategic overnight delivery services and a competitive advantage for local companies. Both UPS Ground and FedEx maintain regional sorting hubs here with collective sorting capabilities of over 100,000 packages an hour.
- Local freight service is provided by Norfolk Southern and CSX, while passenger service is provided by Amtrak from the Greensboro depot.
- Major ports such as Wilmington, Morehead City, and Norfolk are all within 250 miles.
City of Greensboro | www.greensboro-nc.gov
Greensboro Chamber of Commerce | www.greensboro.org
Greensboro Partnership Economic and Community Development | www.greensboropartnership.com
Opportunity Greensboro | www.opportunitygreensboro.com
SynerG | www.synerg.org
Greensboro Convention & Visitors Bureau | www.visitgreensboro.com
Piedmont Triad International Airport | www.flyfrompti.com